Saturday 12 January 2013

Girl of the Sea !

She loved water, sea and the beach!  She was into dragon boat racing, and continued to be a part of it even when she was not keeping well.  At the entrance of her house I noticed a board marked – ‘LIFE IS A BEACH’.  Who else but Kay could ever have thought of this?  Her house faced the sea.  Every time one entered, it was impossible to skip those words – and obviously enter the house with a broad smile J and breezy mood!








 Kay loved outdoor life.  So much so, she had even placed a large dining table on her terrace so that her friends could feel and hear the sea while partying.  The mere thought was thrilling!








Each room had a décor of its own.  I noticed beautiful paintings, some painted by Kay herself, certificates of her husband Tim, who was a pilot in “Australian Air Force and died was killed while flying Boeing 707.  There were plenty of books and painting material as well.  There were quotations in every nook and corner of the house.  I felt fortunate to be there and was instantly in love with the place – Bribie Island.   Kay used to mention the beauty of this island often in her mails and now I could see the place through her eyes.  


Leigh Park (Kay's sister) in Kay's kitchen            A Surprise Tea party arranged by Leigh for me

Leigh's skills in cooking  

Though. I had received a warm welcome from her sister Leigh, I so wished Kay had been there too!  Leigh and I had bonded in no time and I wondered if it was in their blood to be so friendly.   The ice was broken between us in no time and we chatted like old friends who meet after a long gap.  Not once did I feel I was meeting Leigh for the first time in my life and might never see her again.  I am still so sure that we are bound to meet again one day. 












Kay always appreciated the dragon boat club women belonging to Dragon Abreast Australia. In her words : "We have a Vibrant Club in Bribie Island formed by a very strong woman who at first couldn't even bring herself to mention to others that she had had breast cancer."  At the time when Kay could not paddle in the canoe, she would sit at the bow of the boat and beat the drum to keep up the pace during the race !

I was told that when Kay died, her dogs expressed their grief only by maintaining silence.  Not once did they search for her, in their own way they seemed to realize that Kay was no more.  Or had she prepared them beforehand for the same?  The house was surrounded with flood water.    Kay, the girl who had cast such a deep impression in my thoughts and memory, the girl who loved water – finally merged into the sea.  Her reflection can still be caught in the blue waters, her laughter heard in the splashing waves and her infinite courage observed in the high tides!




Winners make it happen !

This short note is posted in Kay’s memory on her Birthday – 12th January.  

No comments:

Post a Comment